A standing seam metal roof might be a little tricky roof to deal with for most people. This is so because the composition, installation process, and maintenance may sound like a lot of work.
To help you with standing seam metal roof installation, we have compiled all the information you need in the form of this clear and concise guide. Here you will find everything you need to know about the process of installation of standing seam metal roofs as well as their maintenance tips, and more.
Standing Seam Metal Roof Installation V/S Traditional Roofing Materials
Pre-Installation Preparations For Standing Seam Metal Roofs
Preparing your roof before installation is critical to ensure that the installation process is easier and quicker. Here are some pre-installation tips before installing a standing seam metal roof to make the process easier for you:
Inspecting your roof thoroughly before getting anything on it is very important to ensure that the installation happens smoothly and without any disturbance. You need to make sure that all the old roofing material has been torn off and that there is no residue or debris collected on the surface. Doing this will not only help in easier installation of the new roof but also help you detect any signs of damage and treat them beforehand.
Materials Needed Based On Roof Measurements
Make a list of all the tools and materials required for the installation of standing seam metal roofs before starting the work as it will help you have a sorted plan with no interruptions. You don’t want to run for every little tool or equipment you forgot to add to the list so make sure that you take your time and get all the essential stuff before starting to work on the roof.
Permits And Local Regulations
Different areas have different regulations hence, it is crucial that you take permission from your local authorities for whatever kind of roof you are installing. A standing seam metal roof is not harmful in any way but it is always better to be safe than sorry so, apply for permission so you don’t have any issues after installation.
Tools And Materials Required For Installing Standing Seam Metal Roof
Using the right type of tools is very important to perform any house maintenance task safely and easily. Here are the tools and materials you will need for a smooth installation of a metal roof on your house:
Tools Required For Installation:
- Metal Panels
- Lock Strips
- Hand Seamers
- Driver Bits
- Ridge Caps
- Clips and Z bars
- Drip edge
- Roof decking
Types Of Standing Seam Panels And Their Uses
Mechanically Seamed: The most weather-tight kind of standing seam metal roofing is this one, which is also the most expensive. The seams are mechanically fastened. According to your needs, it can be placed with a single lock or a double lock. With a pitch as low as 5 to 1:12, it is perfect for very low-sloping roofs. Due to its complexity, DIY roofers don’t often install this panel.
Snap Lock With Clips: A Snap Lock Clip mechanism provides improved wind resistance and thermal movement. No mechanical seaming is necessary since panels and hidden metal clips interlock to generate a seam that maintains them in place.To maintain the seamless appearance of a standing seam roof, they fasten behind the panel and out of sight.
Nail Strip: The snap lock technique used by nail strip roofing panels uses screws rather than clips. The male flange is secured to the roof deck using one-inch slots that are six inches apart.
When the clips are removed, a lot of performance is lost. In comparison to the previous two roof kinds, it is a little cheaper and simpler to install.
Fasteners And Sealants For Weatherproofing
Sealant Gun: Using sealant guns is a great way to ensure that you protect all the nooks and crannies of the roof from moisture retention. They prevent leaks, and water damage, and keep your metal roof as good as new throughout its lifetime.
Silicone Sealants: Sealants made of silicon are great for metal roofs and other material roofs as well because they stick well to the surface. These sealants also provide maximum protection from moisture to the roof, preventing any damage that can be caused by it.
Installation Process Of Standing Seam Metal Roofs
After following all the pre-installation tips, you will come to the installation part where you will use the tools and materials mentioned above to put together the roof. Here are the steps you can follow to install the roof to make the task simple and easy for you:
- Step1: To stop wind and water from sneaking under your new metal panels, start installing the lock strips and drip edge.
- Step 2: The next step is underlayment, a process in which your roof decking is covered with a substance, typically felt or rubber, to give an additional layer of protection from water damage.
- Step 3: After preparing your roof, you will start installing the standing seam metal panels. Start with attaching the panels on the lock strips and fastening them for secure installation.
- Step 4: Fill the gap between the ridges by installing a Z-shaped bar between the metal panels for a tight and safe roof.
- Step 5: Lastly, you will have to cover the Z bars or the ridges with caps that provide extra dimension and a very defined look to your roof. This step not only ensures extra protection but also gives your roof a very organized and clean look.
Also Read: How to Install Metal Roofing Over Shingles?
Safety Measures While Installing Standing Seam Metal Roofs
- Make sure that the roof that you are working on is not wet or slippery. This is important to ensure that you don’t get hurt in the process.
- Wearing proper safety gear is very important for your safety while doing any home maintenance tasks.
- Make sure that you keep the area below the roof empty and safe for a fall so that you don’t get hurt much even if you lose balance.
- Use the right equipment as makeshift ones won’t do you any good while performing such tasks. So, make sure that the equipment you are using is of good quality.
- Even if you want to DIY this one, make sure that you take some expert advice on the process to help you get a clear idea of what you are signing up for.
Installing a standing seam metal roof is not a very complex task however, it can be quite lengthy if you are not an experienced person. Make sure that you follow all the safety precautions before starting this process to prevent any mishaps and a safe and secure roof installation. We hope all your concerns and queries about standing seam metal roof installation are addressed here. Have fun getting a new roof for your home!
Frequently Asked Questions
What should be put under a standing seam metal roof?
You must add a layer of a self-adhering ice and water shield on your roof before installing the metal sheet as it will hold it better and give extra protection to the surface. Be advised that the lock strip at the eaves must come first before installing the ice and water protection.
What kind of standing seam roof is best?
Sloped roofs can use mechanically seamed roofing panels as they can be used for very low/almost flat roofs with mechanically seamed panels because of weather tightness.
What are standing seams used for?
These seams are usually used for metal roofs and help in hiding the fastener, making the roof look clean and organized.