Roofs are one of the most vital elements to protect your home from leakage and damage caused by snow, hailstorms, or wind. Roofs should be safe and sturdy. The strength of the roof depends on its style and the material of the cover. It’s always better to go for the best possible material for the roof cover because changing the roof cover is easier and more affordable than changing the roof structure.
Read more: 20 Residential Roofing Ideas For Your Homes
The Importance Of Roof Coverings
Roofs are a vital part of the house as they add visual appeal to your home and protect you from harsh weather conditions. Some of the importance of roof covering are discussed below:
- Protection From Extreme Weather Conditions: Roof covering will help in protecting your roof from extreme weather conditions, water leakage, mold growth, and stagnation.
- Enhances visual Appeal: Different materials extend different look to the exterior house, adding curb appeal and enhancing the aspect of the house.
- Add value to home: The roof covering balances between the functionality and the appearance of your house, increasing the worth of property.
- Durability: Roof covering is a great way to strengthen roofs to withstand extreme weather conditions and wear and tear.
- Safety : Safety and security of your family is of upmost importance, hence invest in a good roof covering without giving a second thought. You will be mentally relaxed knowing your family is safe and secure.
Factors To Consider Before Choosing Roof Coverings
Following are some important factors that you should consider while choosing a roof covering for your home:
The climate of the region where you live is one of the most important factors you should consider while choosing the roof covering material. For example, opt for concrete roof coverings if you are living in hot regions, cement for cold climate, metal for snowy areas, etc. Hence, choose a covering material that works best in the climate conditions of your area.
Durability Of The Material
No one wants to keep changing the roof after every minor damage. Hence, you must consider the durability of different materials to ensure they suit your preferences and last longer.
The amount invested in roofing material is worthwhile only if you either plan to live for more than 20 years in the building or retain the property for more than 20 years. In such a case, the return on investment will be maximized.
Local/state building codes
Bear in mind that local or state building code is vital while deciding the roof covering material. Some states have restrictions on certain types of roof covering material, so you will have to rule out that choice.
The home design plays a crucial role in deciding the type of roofing material. For example, asphalt shingles go well with most styles, metal roofing suits commercial buildings, and tile roofing looks better with vintage-style homes.
A variety of roof covering styles, textures, and colors is available for your home. The look of the roof covering should match the home style and the style your neighbors chose to add curb appeal.
Budget consideration is very important to avoid too much spending on roof covering. So, explore all the options within your budget and choose the best one for your home. Some materials cost more than others but require less maintenance; some are cheaper but need more upkeep over time. Hence, you can choose your roof accordingly.
Considering the level of maintenance that a certain roof covering will require over time is very important. Regular inspections are necessary for all roof covering. So, select the material, keeping in mind these points.
The impact of every step you take during your house maintenance is very high on the environment. Hence, it is crucial that you make a conscious choice regarding the type of material you choose to ensure that it affects the environment positively.
Types Of Roof Covering Materials
There are multiple options when it comes to finding the right material for roof coverings. Here are some evergreen roof-covering materials to add curb appeal to the outdoor space.
Slate Roof Coverings
- Slate roof coverings look good
- It is durable and long-lasting
- It gives your home a clean look.
- Slate roofing cover is the best choice for many homes, especially the modern homes.
- These are eco-friendly, making them a preferred choice amongst homeowners.
- It will make your exterior home look elegant.
- If you prefer a clean aesthetic, this is the best choice for you.
Solar Panels Roof Covering
- Solar roof tiles, also known as solar shingles, are an energy-efficient and long-lasting roof covering option.
- This roofing idea is gaining popularity due to its multiple benefits, such as its eco-friendly features, affordability, and low electricity bills on the installation of solar panels.
Clay Roof Covering
- Clay tile roof coverings can withstand hailstorms, snow, and fire, making it one of the safest and most durable options.
- If you want a roof covering that looks awe-striking and also keeps you safe, opt for clay roofing.
- To save the roof from drainage problems or mold, install a waterproofing membrane.
Metal Roofing cover
- Metal is a great choice if you want a strong and waterproof roofing material.
- A metal roof covering has other uses as well, such as a polished and tidy appearance, which makes it ideal for homes with cutting-edge technology.
Asphalt Roof covering material
- This roofing style is popular in the US as it meets all the requirements of homes.
- These roof coverings work well in almost all climatic regions, which makes them a preferred choice among homeowners.
- They have a very adaptable appearance, so it goes well with a variety of housing style
- This is the best option to balance between safety and appearance.
- It is one of the best insulators
- The source of wood roofs is treated pine, cedar, and redwood.
- It can resist strong wind
- The disadvantages are that it is prone to mold and requires regular maintenance
Common Roof Covering Problems And Solutions
It’s essential to spot the damage at an early stage to get it fixed right at the time to avoid sudden repair costs in the future. Some of the common roof-covering problems have been discussed below:
Damaged or blown-off shingles
The most common problem is lifted or damaged shingles due to harsh weather conditions, resulting in water leakage and pest infestation. Keep an eye on issues and fix them.
Branches of trees
Tree branches, if not trimmed properly, can damage the roof. High wind can tear down or bend the leaning tree branches on the roof, adding extra pressure to it resulting in damage. Trim tree branches at regular intervals.
Leakage in roof
Leakage is a common roof problem faced by homeowners. Keep checking for water leaks because leakage can happen even if roofs are in proper shape, so you have to be vigilant.
Flashing is built to withstand degradation; however, if the roof is very old or has undergone destructive conditions, repair and replacement becomes necessary.
Gutters falling away from the roof can lead to water entering any corner of the house or soaking the lawn at any place where it’s not needed. Depending on the type of gutter, replace it or repair it.
Falling off granules
Asphalt shingles are made up of mini particles that absorb UV rays of the sun. The bald patches on the roof are an early sign that granules have started to fall off and call for urgent repairs.
Roof covering is essential for protection from heavy snowfall, extreme heat, cold, rainfall, and hail. Hence roof cover material has to be the best. Consider all the factors such as your regional climate, house design, style of your neighbors before buying the material.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most popular type of materials used for roof covering?
Asphalt is the most popular material for roof covering because it’s versatile, can withstand harsh weather conditions, easy to install, affordable, and add aesthetics.
What is the cheapest way to cover a roof?
Rolled roofs are one of the cheapest options of roofing cover. They might not be as appealing to the eye, mainly because of their composition and design, but they serve the purpose well. This type of roof coverings works best on a sloped roof.
Is it easy to install the roof?
Yes, installing a roof is simple and easy; however, it involves a risk of injury if you don’t have prior experience. Hence, it’s advisable to hire professionals for this job for safety reasons.