Replacing or repairing the roof creates confusion in selecting the best roof material, style, and design. We always want the best for our homes, whether it is a roof or some other decor item. It’s good to contact a professional roofer and gather all the possible information related to roofing. Shingles are one of the most preferred roofing types because there are several designs and style options available for you. In this article, we have discussed the best shingles for roofing to guide you to choose the best.
Points To keep In Mind Before Deciding On The Best Shingles For Roofing
There are some vital points that you should consider to buy the best shingles for roofing. Let’s discuss some of them.
Read more: 20 Residential Roofing Ideas For Your Homes
The performance and the cost of roofing depend on the types of shingles selected. The various materials have their pros and cons. The best shingles for roofing for your home is the one that meets all your priorities. There are various types of shingles, such as Asphalt, composite, metal, slate, solar, and wood, which have their advantages and disadvantages.
Read more: Metal Roof and Siding Color Combinations
The color makes a difference in the appearance of homes. Select the color based on the size of the home. For smaller spaces, light or white color will be best suited as it will make the area look bigger, and for bigger size homes, dark color works well by extending a compact look.
The style and design of the best shingles for roofing affect the installation and the durability in the long run. For example, three-tab shingles are durable and expensive, architectural shingles have a heavy base, resulting in longevity, and luxury shingles are known for their design and good quality.
The location matters because you can accordingly select the material. If you stay in an area with frequent hail storms or coastal regions, asphalt shingles will prove to be a good choice due to their wind resistance feature.
Future plan of house
If you plan to sell your house in the coming years, a new roof will add value to your house. If you plan to live in it, then a little bit of repair will work.
Budget is the most important factor as it impacts all the above factors because material and design depend on how much you plan to spend.
Different Types Of Shingle Materials
- These are economical options
- Provides a uniform appearance to homes
- Fire resistant
- It’s available in multiple colors
- Need regular maintenance
- It’s not environmentally friendly because, after removal, it takes hundreds of years to degrade
- It extends a rustic look
- It’s an environment-friendly option
- Can resist strong wind and impact
- Need regular maintenance
- It’s not as durable as other material
- Not suitable for wildfire-prone areas
- Designs are attractive and suit many home styles
- It reflects heat, reducing the energy bill. It’s highly durable
- If damaged, the repair process is complicated
- Can’t withstand hailstorm
Read more: Elegant Burnished Slate Metal Roof Ideas
- Adds curb appeal
- It is resistant to fire, rots, and insects
- Add insulation to homes
- It is durable
- Require no or little maintenance
- Not many colour options are available because it is a natural stone
- It is a very expensive material
Clay Roof Tiles
- It is available in various styles
- It adds an amazing appearance to the homes
- It has resistance to fire, rots, and insects
- Provides insulation to homes
- It’s environment friendly due to its composition
- It is durable
- It’s expensive
- It is very heavy, so your roof structure has to be strong enough to sustain the weight
- You need a professional to install it
Concrete Roof Tiles
- It’s a preferred option for residential roofing
- It looks like an expensive material
- It’s budget-friendly
- Provides insulation
- Fire, rot, and insect resistant
- Less maintenance
- It’s heavy, so it requires proper inspection before installation
- Need a professional to install it
- Not environment friendly like clay roofing
Top Shingle Manufacturers And Their Standout Products
It is one of the manufacturers in North America best known for its good quality material and warranties.
- GAF Timberline HD shingles have a class H rating
- It is aesthetically appealing
- They are available in many colours and patterns
- High product quality
- Warranty is superb
- It has better nail fastening and placement accuracy because of the strike zone nailing area
- It is costlier than the other materials
This is a name that people trust due to its excellent features of insulation, decking, railing, ceilings, drywall, and roofing.
- Landmark shingles
- Three-tab XT 25
- Presidential Shake
- A variety of trusted products are available
- Transferable warranties are available
- High product quality
- Professional contractors are not readily available
- It is expensive
This is another affordable roofing material brand preferred by many homeowners. It is the best choice if you want to maintain a perfect balance between cost and quality. It is known to sell the best quality products when compared to other product lines.
- Crowne Slate
- It is aesthetically pleasing
- It is affordable compared to other materials
- Several products have impact resistance
- Colour options are limited
- At times, there are warranty issues which affect the reputation of IKO
- Warranty transfer involves a complicated procedure
They are one of the biggest roof manufacturers in America that manufactures shingles such as Glass Master and Pro-Lam three tabs.
- ProLam three tabs
- It is one of the least expensive roofing material
- It is the best-performing material
- It is available in various colors and textures
- It can’t withstand cold weather
Owens Corning is one of the leading roof shingles brands in residential and commercial roofing materials in America. It has the best impact-resistant shingles. It is the best-known manufacturer of building insulation across the world.
- Duration Flex
- Duration Storm
- It’s a popular brand
- It’s a patented product with SureNail Technology
- A variety of products are available with impact resistance and energy efficiency
- Warranty coverage is not good
- Product lines are limited
Tamco is known for its low-slope and steep-sloping roofing material. It is known for producing the best quality affordable shingles. They were branded as a high-quality producer of best shingles for roofing for the middle and low-end market; however, in the recent past, it has started manufacturing premium shingles.
- StoneCrest Aston WoodCedar Shakes
- It is preferred by people who want to maintain a balance between price and quality
- It provides a warranty for many shingles
- It has unique shingle options
- The product line is smaller
- Many products were detected with some defects in the past
- It won’t protect from algae
Malarkey uses the best rubberized Asphalt in the shingles manufacturing process, which makes it a known brand.
- Known for producing the best quality shingles
- More expensive than other material
In order to buy the best shingles for roofing, consider all the essential points that affect the choice, such as the weather conditions of the area where you stay, intent of investment on roofing, and many more. All these factors collectively affect the roofing’s durability and appearance.
What are the best long-lasting shingles for a roof?
The long-lasting shingles are Certain Teed Landmark Premium and GAF Timberline AS II.
What are the top 5 shingles?
The best roofing shingles are GAF, IKO, Owens Coming, Certain Teed, and Tamko.
What color roof shingles last the longest?
The light-coloured roof shingles last longer as they absorb less heat. It rather reflexes the heat back, maintaining the average indoor temperature.